Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Disc Golf 5/28/08

Back in action at Riverbend Disc Golf Park, Oroville, CA
In The Bag-
DX Monster
Champion Orc
Champion Eagle
Firebird
162g Teebird
Beast
Comet
Discraft Soft Challenger
Just a quick note, most all discs I throw are normally 175 grams.
Holy snap we brought a digital camera and I hope to have some pics up soon.
about 25 putts before the round began.
1- Par.  Threw the 162g Teebird with a tailwind and pretty much the identical shot that I threw the last round.  I put no hyzer on it and it went straight and never came back.  Ironically they changed the pin placement and I didn't know it so my shot was better than I thought.  In fact 50% of the holes today had new pin placements.
2- Bogey. (+1)Terrible tee off and I missed a makeable par putt.

3- Bogey. (+2)Hit a tree on the left right off the bat and scrabled for bogey.
4- Par.  Another new pin placement kind of a dogleg left.  I'm having trouble adjusting to these new pin placements, it's like playing the course for the first time.
 5. Bogey.(+3)  Oh boy, I threw my DX Monster forehand into the wind hoping for an S curve but the disc came out of my hand early and just sailed right all the way into the river.  Took a penalty stroke and scrabled again for Bogey.
6- Bogey. (+4) My tee shot with the beast that normally turns left just held a line and sailed right into the bushes and my disc got stuck about 20 feet up, costing me another penalty stroke.
7. Bogey. (+5)Teebird didn't go very far off the pin and I couldn't make a 10 footer, hit the top of the basket and fell out.  Err. frusterating.  On top of that I threw a second shot off the tee with my Orc cause we were messing around with the digital camera and I lost that disc too.  +4 for the round and -2 discs in the bag.
8- Bogey. (+6) Despite having a really good drive off the tee, I followed it up with my worst approach shot of the round landing in the rough and leaving me NO putt to save par.When it's going bad it's going horribly bad. At this point I'm thinking this is shaping up to be my worst round ever. (Note-worst round ever is +7)
9- Par- Solid Tee shot with the Eagle but no love or skip and the disc stopped short in some tall weeds.

Front 9- +6  Ouch.
10-  Bogey- (+7)My tomahawk shot never made it far enough right in the air for it to come down on the right side of the hill.  I landed on top of the hill making for one of the most ridiculous, blind downhill approach shots I can remember ever having.  I landed on the other side of the hill and hoped to get a roll down to the basket.  But with the way this round is going to this point.  No Chance.  My disc stuck on the side of the hill and left me with an awkward 12-15 foot putt with terrible footing and no balance.  I bullet putted and the disc hit the chains solid but with the rotation of the disc I threw it too far to the left and it bounced out.  At this point I threw something at a tree angry to all hell.
 11-  Par.  With nothing overstable left in my bag I really had no chance of throwing as good of a shot here as I did the last round.  I threw my firebird hoping it had some sort of overstableness to it.  Again no chance, and I was off to the left again.  They changed the pin placement on this one as well, I had an incredible approach shot though that missed trees and landed for a drop in par.
12-Par. Another pin change and another Tree Hit right off the tee.  I'm seriously hitting any and every object in my way at this point. Scrambled with a bustin forehand shot with my Comet of all discs that I haven't thrown in weeks.  Landed about 10 feet from the basket and got up and down.
13- Par- This pin is now more to the right which makes for an easier hole than before.
14- Par- Happy they didn't change the placement on this hole I was hoping for another ace run but instead my Eagle flew past the hole about 20 feet but no problem to get in in 3.
15- Par.   Again I hit a tree about 30 feet in front of me. I walked up to my disc and just threw the beast which ended up hitting even more brush and rough. What came next would be the highlight of the round as I forehanded my soft challenger anhyzer and as the disc approached the basket I yell "get in!"  Disc hits the basket flush and I turn in about a 70 footer for Par.  As awesome as it was,walking to 16 I think to myself- Fuck, am I gonna go birdieless on this round?
 16- BIRDIE. yes Birdie. (+6)  Threw my Beast and it turned left as it is supposed to but the pin placement wasn't over there this time it was farther back and straight.  Nonetheless I was left with a wide open 15 footer that I nailed and was happy with that one.
17- Par.  Another long pin placement on this one and my tee shot was less than average but my approach shot was excellent.  Tap in Par.
18- Par. Good tee off but came up short with the wind conditions and left with a 25 footer couldn't put it in for birdie but ended at +6.
Back 9 score- (E)
The cons on this round definately outweigh the pros as I lost 2 discs, don't have any overstable discs left in my bag, and was dominated by 2 penalty strokes.
The highlighted 70 footer on 15 was awesome and it turned my game around.  Having the digital camera there too was cool, We got pics of all 18 holes so I'll put those up soon, except for 10 where this guy and girl were resting and smoking weed.  They let us play through, I didn't want to bust out the camera and take a pic of the hole.
Is this blog long enough?  heh.
Like I said, pics coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment