Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bowling Finale

I didn't even update last week because we bowled so terribly. We lost all games and 6 of 7 heading into the playoffs. I had 6 strikes the entire night. Then a week later, I threw that many in the first 7 frames:

266/167/178 611 Series

I finally returned to mid season form to rock my highest game of the entire season in a line that looked like this X X X X 7/ X X X X X9/.  After the first game we threw a 944 handicap game for our team and was sitting in first place. Having the league championship in our sights was unchartered territory for sure with the history of our team.

Then things began to fall apart game 2.  I lost my line and agressive bite to the pocket.  I had back to back open frames mid game and then threw a split in the 10th frame.  A 99 pin differential between Game 1 and 2 is no good.  We fell hard and ended game 2 with an 831 team game.  So we now fell back into the pack trailing by 20 pins going into game 3 and then the unthinkable happened and I began game 3 with back to back open frames and I was not able to recover.  I had a few strikes here and there but couldn't put anything together.  It didn't help that our opponent went off Game 3 and threw a 950 series.  The MVP of the night went to one opponent who had a 160 average and threw a 222/173/201 596 series which when handicap is involved averages out to an extra 116 pins.  That put us out of the championship and we were feeling very deflated as the final game came to a close.  I turn to my teammate and quote"

"Nobody...circles the wagon... like the Buffalo Bills."

We ended about half a game ahead of the other two teams in the playoffs but I assumed we would take 3rd or 4th place as we normally do.  Then the unthinkable happened and my teammate Bill said we got 2nd.  Second place is new ground for our team and a huge 180 turn around from completely missing the playoffs last year. Alsco Irrigation won't be our sponsor next year as Ben quit his job after 100 years of service. Our rumored sponsor next year will be Courtesy Motors as Bill got a promotion to Sales manager there.  So that will put a fresh look to our team. 






Onto the awards of the season and the night.  For tonight's sweepers week I won a little extra cash for high game (266) and high handicap game (284).  For the season I won high scratch series (729) and what I'm most content with was league high average (199.5).  Unfortunatley I couldn't keep that 200 as I failed in the last 3 games of the season. 

So now comes the off season, I don't plan on bowling much until late August.  However if I do throw here or there perhaps I'll do an update.

No comments:

Post a Comment