Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Bowling Scores 3.8.11

207, 172, 226  605 Series

My first 600 since January 11th.  Rather than talk about how the lane conditions are and how I bowled tonight.  I'd like to switch things up and talk about the drama that built to an explosion halfway through game 3.  We bowled Mounatin Mike's tonight and halfway through the second game one of their bowlers threw a ridiculous slop strike that was extremely questionable whether the rack came down and knocked over a pin.  Rather than calling it in and having to wait for a re-spot our team was nice enough to call it a strike.  Then because the computer scored it as a 9 count there needed to be an adjustment made to fix it to a X.  Well nobody on their team immediately went over and fixed it.  I'm sitting there wondering if any of them are going to.  Finally my teammate Bill asks me if I can fix that.  I turn to him and say "but they're the enemy."  In years past this is the team that gets all technical and shit when things like this happen and this is also the team that questioned if the replacement bowler for my Dad would be able to bowl enough weeks to establish an average and qualify to be able to bowl for us in the playoffs.  I did not realize how much of a premonition this was.

Halfway through game 3 my other teammate Scott bowls in the fifth frame and his shoe sticks and he trips, stumbling over the foulline but not hitting the actual foul line causing a foul.  He ends up getting a strike.  Nobody says anything then Bill goes and throws a stike as well.  All of a sudden their leadoff bowler Bob proclaims that if he touched over the foul line then it's a foul and that his score needs to be erased and he needs to throw again.  Which heats up Bill because he now assumes his strike did not count and then has to throw again. 

"Well then the fuckin rack hit your strike last game."

Ohhh shit it's on now.  Arguements ensue and it gets heated.  I'm pissed as well and before any decisions are made I say screw it and I go bowl to finish out the fifth frame. Thinking the farther we move past the questionable frame the more likely they would let it go.  But Bob wouldn't.  I wasn't near the heated conversation but it turns out the compromise would be Scott would take a zero first ball and throw a second ball.  While Bill's strike that followed would count.  Bill didn't even realize I had bowled so my score would not count.  I wasn't complaining as I had a 9 count and when I re-threw I winded up with the same thing.  The rest of the night was awkward as shit to say the least. Bob who began the whole thing moved all of his equipment a lane down so he wouldn't have to talk to us much the rest of the night. 

Maybe I would understand all the seriousness if this was a scratch league but come on I've bowled on this league for nearly 10 years and I've never really seen it categorized as much of a compettitive league.  I also think another reason Bob was complaining and what not is because their team is used to being in the playoffs every year and this year they are struggling to even hit the wildcard spot.  With one week to go they need a lot of help to get in. 

On the night we lost two of three and total pins so we sit at 27-36 for the third third and 108-95 overall.  Next week is position round which doesn't concern us because we are already in the playoffs in two weeks.  16,833 pins through 84 games.  Clinging to a 200.39 average through 29 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment