Wednesday, April 18, 2007

USBC Open Championships Reno, NV Day 1

The most difficult lane conditions I have ever bowled on. Let me start with that. Monday night as I prepared for the 5 man team event, balls were weighed in as this was some serious and professional stuff. You only got a couple of practice shots before we start and I kick off my first game with a 5 count. Yes!

153, 172, 195 (all mark game) 520 Series

The first game was to shake off the jitters so to speak. Let me tell you though these were the most oily lanes I have ever bowled on. Anyone that threw anything outside the 10 board wasn't hitting the head pin. I saw so many 1-2-4 leaves I can't count how many. Second game in it was all about slowing it down and I mean slooowing it down. Still struggling through the night and averaged about 2 strikes per game on the night. Bad. As the third game started I knew it was all about "Playing for Par" or "Keeping it Clean." Meaning no open frames and convert on all spares. Something I miraculously did in the third game and shot an all mark game. Still though with only 2 strikes I couldn't bust 200.
The first night was awesome though aside from the frustration and the difference between PBA Tour Oil Conditions and the Oil Conditions at AMF Orchard Lanes is gargantuously different. Tuesday League starts up next week and I will never complain about the house conditions again. It will be nice to get back to the basics.
Of all the Chico teams there we had the highest scratch total so at least we wound up being the best of Chico. Everyone struggled let me tell you.
Day 2 Blog coming soon......

No comments:

Post a Comment