Saturday, April 21, 2007

USBC Open Championships Reno, NV Day 2

 

USBC Open Championships Reno, NV Day 2

So we got totally screwed for a timeslot and didn't end up bowling Tuesday night until about 11:30 pm which is so damn late if there were black lights and fog machine I would have thought we were at Rock n Bowl.
Me and Kalkowski had 3 doubles games to kick off the night and It was my best series of the 3 which still wasn't much.
188, 201, 167 556 Series.
At least I can say I rolled a 200 game in Reno. The lanes ended up being a bit less oily than the night before because
1. They re-oil the lanes daily
and
2. They don't oil the lanes again between groups of bowlers and we were the last group of the night.
Still tough as hell though. The oil would move around on the lane so even if you hit your mark consistently, the other bowlers that may have a mark one board left or one board right, may move the oil onto your mark and change your ball movement.
I got this USBC program book that explains the different oil patterns and ours seemed to be the scorpion pattern.
Scorpion- A scorpion is dangerous and unpredictible, like this pattern. If you can't find the right groove on the lanes, you'll be stung!
Cheezy as it sounds it was exactly what was happening as well as the shark pattern:
Shark- This pattern forces bowlers to play deep inside the center of the lanes, like sharks that troll the depths of the ocean.
Meaning inside the 10 board so to speak.
Anyways I actually bowled better than Kalkowski in Doubles which meant our team really didn't have a shot at placing that high on the leaderboard.
Following that we moved 2 lanes to the left and got no practice shots as we headed into Singles play.
159, 180, 141 480 Series
I was dead by the last game and towards the end I won't say I gave up but I definately wasn't concentrating as hard. I opened in the 10th with a 6- count and missing the head pin consecutively.
All in all though it was a good experience and it will be a relief to get back to the oil conditions here in Chico which are so much more basic and easy to adjust to. USBC Championships return to Reno in 3 years so I'll probably be back....
Tuesday Night Men's League starts this week and the Summer League Blogs Begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment