Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Disc Golf 6/4/08

What better day to play a round in Oroville than one of the most Windy days of the year.
Disc Golf at Riverbend Park
Tee Time approximately 4:30pm
77°F
Clear
Wind: W at 13 mph
Humidity: 16%
Well this round was a bit different as we parked in the course and played the North Course front 9 holes as a warm-up to the South Course.  What that means is that when we got to the south course we began on Hole 8 and ended on Hole 7.  And it begins-
In The Bag-
TeeRex
Starfire
Champion Eagle
Beast
Comet
Firebird
162g Teebird
Discraft Soft Magnet
1- Par- Wow is it fucking windy or what? I threw one of the worst teeoff shots I can remember and the Teebird flew hard right landing on edge and then picking up steam as an unintentional roller.  It was hillarious to see and turned into a great shot.  Lucky.  I missed a 15 footer.  Any putt in this kind of wind is difficult.  Even a 5 footer.
2- Bogey (+1) Forehands into the wind don't turn right easily even with massive angle.
3- Birdie (E) really good hyzer backhand landed within 10 feet.
4- Par.  Again, forehand didn't get off the ground and was left a tricky uphill approach shot but got up and down.
5- Par.  Nearly a Black Ace as my disc landed under the basket of hole 2 when it caught the wind and went flying hard right.
6- Par. Awesome hyzer teeshot with the TRex landed within 12 feet but with these winds my putt hit the front of the basket. In fact IOS' shot landed even closer and he was robbed of a tap in birdie as well with the effects of the swirling winds.
7- Par.
8- Par.  Another good teeshot with the TRex but again the wind plays a major factor in approach shots.
9- Birdie (-1) Good hyzer shot on the easiest hole on the Northern front 9 landed within 5 feet.
Practice warm-up 9 final score: (-1)
Ok now the round, and let me add that there was NOBODY on the course today.  Looks like Me and IOS were the only ones to Man up and Challenge these strong winds.
8- Bogey (+1) Decent teeoff with the starfire but my approach jump putt landed short and I missed my putt.
9- Par.  Amazingly missed the group of trees on the right but landed in the thinner group of trees.  Made a longer than I wanted par putt comebacker. IOS made a crazy par putt that hit the top of the basket, fell down and teetered on the rim and rocked in.
10- Birdie.(E) Good tomahawk shot with the firebird that actually went past the hole 20 feet.  Made the comebacker ironically the same way IOS made his putt on the previous hole, it was almost an instant replay.  Very strange.
11-Bogey (+1) Back to the old basket location straight ahead instead of to the right.  At this point I keep over compensating for the wind factor and my shots aren't getting more than a few feet off the ground.  My 30 foot par putt hit the front of the basket.
12- Bogey (+2) Worst drive of the day again didn't get more than 2 feet off the ground and landed about 50 feet in front of me.  Had to scramble for bogey.
13- Par- Again they moved all these basket locations back to the original spots.
14- Par- Terrible tee off again but scrambled for par.
15- Par- 15 is becoming the "Par Save" hole.  I made an uphill putt about 20 feet to save par.  I've seen more longer putts land in the basket on 15 than any other hole on the course.  None of them are ever for birdie though as this hole plays extremely tough.  I'll let you know when one of us finally does birdie 15.
16- Par. Decent drive but no birdie putt had to lay up.
17- Par. IOS almost had the Birdie of the year which would stand just behind my ace on 14 for shots on the year.  He threw an anhyzer shot after a below average drive that had the right line but just missed to the right of the basket.
18- Par. Wind plays a major factor on this hole.  I was able to get up and down but IOS went OB and then ended with a double bogey after his approach shot caught the wind and sailed 30 feet from the basket.
1- Bogey.(+3)  Huge bogey save on this one.  Made a 15 footer with swirling wind.
2- Birdie (+2) really good drive with the TRex (starting to like this disc) landed it within 12 feet of the basket.
3- Par.  If you remember my last round I had my best shot ever on 17?  Well this was my best shot ever on 3 as I got my Eagle to S curve beautifully with a forehand.  I landed in a bush about 20 feet from the basket.  My putt came up short though and I hit the front of the basket which is becoming a reoccuring theme this round.
4- Par.  Awesome drive that would have been really makeable birdie oppertunity except for the tree the TRex hit late in flight landing of the fairway.  My approach Jump Putt came up short and I was left a medium par putt that I converted.
5- Par. "That drive died like Heath Ledger" a classic quote during flight of the TRex.  I had a birdie chance but I shanked my putt badly and never gave it a chance.
6- Par. I steered clear of that bush on the right for the first time in 2 rounds and was able to get up and down.
7- Triple Bogey (+5) ah yes just the way I want to finish the day.  I threw my TRex backhand and it caught wind and agressively turned left and I knew my chances of getting it back were slim and none. Fuck.  I was beginning to really settle in with that disc too.  Took a penalty shot and forehanded my Comet to within 20 feet and then proceded to 3 putt.  Actually reminds me of a Tournament I played at Browns Valley back in 2002 I was in 6th place and then Quadruple Bogeyed the final hole to blow my chances at any recognition.
Northern Front 9 warm up-  (-1)
Back 9 (+1)
Front 9 (+4)
A Decent round until my meltdown on the final hole.  Still not terrible concidering the windy conditions

No comments:

Post a Comment