Sunday, June 22, 2008

Get Smart

Steve Carrell plays Maxwell Smart aka Agent 86 as the good guys in control.  They are out to stop Chaos from shipping nuclear weapons across the united states to many large cities including Los Angeles.  Max's partner Agent 99 played by Anne Hatheway teams up with Max to go undercover within the confines of Chaos to find out more of their plan.  They find out that they are planning on bombing Los Angeles destroying the city as well as the President. 
Throw in The Rock as Agent 23 and The Great Khali as a member of Chaos and there's your WWE wrestler spots in the movie. 
As the movie began, I really wasn't digging it at all.  In fact a lot of the jokes reminded me a lot of Austin Powers or a similar type of comedy.  Recycled stuff that I've seen too many times.  It did pick up a bit for me towards the middle but nothing above average here.  Steve Carrell doesn't try to imitate the original voice of Maxwell Smart that I watched back in the early 90's on Nick and Nite.  I seriously felt I was just watching Michael Scott from The Office thrown into the role.  Aside from a couple of
"Missed it by that much"  and the "would you believe...chuck norris with a bb gun"  bits, there was nothing else that stuck with the original series.  I was a huge fan of the show growing up as a kid so if your like me and remember the original show, you probably won't like this one much.  On the other hand, if you've never seen the original series, you might find this one enjoyable.
3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment