Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Bowling Scores 1/18/11

186/202/157  545 Series

My god were the lanes abysmal tonight. The league president/Patriots fan decided to no show it because he couldn't handle the ass whoopin his boy Brady took on Sunday. The League Secretary was there and mentioned at the end of the night that he believes the oil machine broke down. Also meaning instead of stripping off an old oil pattern and putting on a new one, The machine just oiled right over the top of an old pattern.  Everyone was struggling and I felt like I was either A: Back in the 2008 ProAm Reno tourney or B: Back in 2009 mode where the lanes were like this for much of the season.  On a normal night the more games that are bowled the more you can notice the oil moves around and the lanes change a bit, much of the time for the better.  Not Tonight.  My teammate mentioned to me that it seemed like a viper pattern where throwing a ball outside the 10 board with any kind of velocity and your not going to see it come back anywhere near the head pin let alone the pocket. While anything inside the 10 boards late is dry as a bone and your ball will take off on you diving into the headpin leaving splits all night long.

Through 22 weeks of the season I had never been more confused after a few throws in practice.  I started out trying my normal line of 20/10 meaning standing at the 20 board and throwing at the 10 board.  That didn't work worth a damn with speed so I slowed it down and then anything between the 10 and 20 board late was bone dry and diving in leaving splits for many myself included.  I then moved to the right and tried 15/10 line which worked in spurts but nothing consistent.  I also tried 15/15,20/15, and every other combination of speed and rotation I could think of.  Nothing worked.

It was a damn near miracle I was able to throw a deuce game 2. I strung together a couple of XXX's but a few of those were brooklyn hits.  I probably had almost a full game of open frames on the night with at least 4 splits I can remember. I also probably missed the headpin more tonight that the entire season combined. The only real highlight of the night was a 6-7-10 conversion in the 1st frame of the 2nd game. I did not realize how huge this conversion would become because it's the only game we would win on the night by the narrowest of margins, 840-838. 

Game 1 we lost 774-824 and Game 3 lost 781-829.  I looked everywhere for anyone that might be figuring these lanes out and there was noone.  The high game when I left was a 206.  I'll be interested to see what the high series is next week I can't imagine it will be much above 550ish.

I really hope this is just a one week thing and that the oil machine isn't going to constantly leave us with conditions like this.  It seriously isn't fun to bowl on at all. 

204.37 Average through 66 games and 13,489 total pins.

No comments:

Post a Comment