Sunday, April 20, 2008

Disc Golf 4/20/08

Disc Golf at Oroville Riverbend Park
Weather- 54°F
Clear
Wind: NE at 2-7 mph
3:30pm
In The Bag
DX Firebird
Champion Monster
Champion Eagle
Champion Orc
DX Beast
Discraft Soft Challenger
Note: I don't know how long ago they started calling regular plastic DX plastic but that's what it's called. 
Round 1- 54  E
Going into the round with a slight breeze my intentions were to work more on my backhands and distance but I axed that shortly into the round, I just can't get the distance on the backhands.  We skipped 1 to jump ahead of this family playing super slow at their own pace so we started on hole 2 which I threw a pretty good drive (backhand) and got up and down for par.  Followed that one with a bogey though unfortunatley.  Hole 3 reminds me a lot of 10 from the front course back in the day but longer and more difficult.  Probably put this hole in the top 3 most difficult holes on the course.  Par for 4 and then with a tailwind I miraculously threw an awesome forehand that sailed beyond the hole on 5 within 10 feet.  Sunk that one for birdie and back to even on the round. 
Pars would continue for the rest of the front 9.  Actually had a really good drive on 9 and missed a 20 footer that would have been nice.  Going into the back 9 I tomahawked hole 10 and it was a sweet shot that landed directly within 10 feet and an easy tap in birdie putting me at -1. 
Then would come me getting dominated by the 11.  As I threw the Eagle on the following hole and hit a tree putting me in the deep rough.  I really had no shot at this point and the safe play would have been to lay up and get out with a bogey.  Unfortunately I attempted to man up and get lucky with a low percentage forehand which landed me in a tree about 30 feet in the air.  20 minutes of throwing rocks my disc finally came down and cost me a penalty stroke (anything higher than 6 feet)  I ended with double bogey (+1) 
Hole 12, one of my favorites and I can normally hit this low gap on the left side but I threw my disc too low and from the release it never made it a foot off the ground.  Par and Par on 13 as well.
Then came my favorite hole, well one because I aced it a few weeks ago and two cause I can always seem to hit the gap.  Except for today where I turned my wrist over and the forehand went left instead of straight.  I got lucky though and made it through some trees leaving about a 35 footer.  Up and down for par. 
Next comes the bitch hole 15 that is the worst designed hole on the course as there really is no consistent play.  You have to basically hit this six inch gap and get lucky.  Which is exactly what happened.  I threw my DX Beast which is so beat in from hitting trees that it turns left when forehanded correctly and holds a line.  Probably my best drive on that hole ever.  Leaving me a 25 footer and I went for it, running it past the basket farther than I wanted to.  I made the comeback putt though and moved on. 
Hole 16 again, forehanding the beast and an awesome drive coming up with about 10 feet to spare.  I banked in for birdie.  Back to (E)
for the round.
Hole 17 is deceiving because it looks rather easy but some small thin trees and branches make you have to play a pretty damn presise shot, that and it's a bit uphill.  For some reason I always through my Monster which is my most overstable disc forehand and I always think it's a horrible shot but end up with a pretty makeable birdie attempt.  This time I ended up on the side of a hill about 8-10 feet above the basket.  A bush in front of me I had to elevate a 15 foot putt which I did and got some ridiculous love from the basket and it bounced off the left side and barely stayed in.  Putting me at -1. 
Hole 18 is rather a disappointing finishing hole as it's wide open and downhill making it rather short as well.  I got up and down for par leaving hole 1 as the last hole. 
I jobbed up my drive which I threw with an eagle and overcorrected from my previous throw with the eagle (14) and put too much hyzer on it sailing my shot way to the right. My approach shot was poor leaving me with a 20 footer that I proceded to miss and end with a bogey putting me back at Even for the round. 
All in all a pretty solid round and I could have easily shot a -3 with the breakdown on 11.  I'm really missing my old Valkyrie though that disc is awesome forehand disc and I could throw it with confidence.  The Beast is replacing it right now.  I also have retired my Comet I never throw it. My shorter approach shots are occasionally forehanded as well with my putter, the soft challenger. 
We decided to throw a second round which was really bad and I won't go into detail but the front 9 I shot a +5 and back 9 a +1, ending a second round with a +6 my second worst round ever (+7).  However the last 3 holes I shot a -2 with a birdie at 16 and 18.  My best round ever is (-1).
I was shocked to find no drunken discers out playing today as normally the course is filled with them, especially on sunday but I just now realized as I type this that it's 4/20.  Ha.  Guess you can't hotbox outdoors.
I don't know if all my blog entries will be this in depth but this one is so if you've read the entire thing thanks for your interest and get out there and throw!!

No comments:

Post a Comment