Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Bowling Scores 9/16/08

209, 183, 168  560 Series (28 of 30 Marks)
Tonight I came to realize that the thumb insert in my ball is no longer big enough.  I need to either have it removed before next Tuesday or throw a completely different ball. 
Game 1 started off ok but again, I haven't strung together XXX in a row this season outside of that five bagger a couple weeks ago.  What does that mean?  Well it means I'm getting my fair share of work in on spare conversions.  I'd say for the most part when my mechanics and release are on, I'm converting my spares 85-90% of the time.  Tonight was no different, in fact if you don't count the additional shot in the 10th frame I had 20 consecutive marks. 
The third game I missed the head pin (it happened a lot tonight when my thumb would stick) leaving a 1-2-4 and chopped it high for my first open frame of the night. I followed that one up leaving the 3-10 baby split in the 2nd frame.  Failed to convert that one for the first time this season. I think I'm 4/5 but don't quote me on it. 
Let me rewind for a minute to the second game.  It was a close matchup this week with Gary's Automotive and we were trailing by 28 pins following a missed 10 pin by my teammate.  I stepped up to the approach with 0 confidence and just threw the ball with a new grip that felt totally awkward.  The black widow hits the head pin high and I initially leave a 4-7-10 split but then a pin takes out the 4-7 leaving me with just the 10 pin.  I look up and now we're down by just 11 pins.  For some reason I calculated it in my head if I convert the 10 pin and strike we finish in a tie.  I convert the 10 pin and I look up to see a -8 pins we are down by with one ball to go.  I throw my final shot and it actually moves towards the pocket... the pins explode and I'm left with a solid 10 pin.  We win by 1- 875-874 (that's team handicap game) My team marks the hell out and we went on to win the third game as well and sweep Gary's Automotive.
Going into the night we were in third place at 12-9 and now we sit at 19-9 and likely in first place again.  I also am noticing that not just me, but everyone's averages and games are down 10-15 pins.  Look at the top 4 games through 4 weeks:
251
231
230
226
and top 4 averages:
206
194
183
180

Everyone seems to be struggling and I overheard some conversations that they are using a new kind of oil on the lanes down on the back end, kind of reminds me of pro tour oil in Reno.  Not that difficult but as last season you could hit a board width of about 5 outside the second arrow, your ball would react and return to the pocket.  This season it seems that width narrowed to about 2.
My total pin count through 4 weeks is 2,118 with an average of 176.5

No comments:

Post a Comment