Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Disc Golf 9/17/08

Myself, IOS and Derek drove on down to Oroville for some Disc Golf at Riverbend Disc Golf park.  Before that though I had to stop off at Play it again sports who I must say has a WAY better selection of discs than Sports LTD.
I picked myself up a DX Plastic Valkyrie, DX Plastic Starfire (again) and a discounted Discraft Cyclone.  I haven't thrown a Cyclone in like 5 years. 
Alright here we go:
In the bag and actually used during the round:
DX Starfire
DX Valkyrie
Discraft Cyclone
DX Firebird
DX Beast
DX Teebird (168 g)
Discraft Soft Challenger
We began with a few warm up holes on the front course.
1-Bogey
2-Birdie
3-Par
4-Par
7-Par
And the round began
Hole 10- Par. Tomahawk shot with the firebird as usual, didn't end up on top of the hill and got my shot within 20 feet, then I hit the chains squarely and the disc rimmed out.  Horrible break to start the round.
Hole 11- Par.  Lucky break on the approach shot and made the comeback putt.
HOle 12- Bogey.(+1)  My forehand approach shot sailed on me and I hit the tree trunk that crosses the fairway.  I don't normally do that.
Hole 13- Birdie (E)  Good forehand with the starfire landed within 15 feet.
Hole 14- Par.  Even though this is my hole, I went for the safe shot of a tomahawk, something we've been testing out lately.  However it released from my hand too far to the left and hit some branches.
Hole 15- Par.  Missed Birdie oppertunity within 20 feet
Hole 16- Par.  Forehand Beast shot turned left like I wanted it to but no luck and hit a tree way up top.  Approach shot was less than solid but I made up for it with a huge par save from about 20 feet.
Hole 17- Bogey (+1)  Nothing to say here other than I just plain missed a near tap in par.  It was uphill but no excuses, just a bad shot.
Hole 18- Par.  Too big of a hyzer shot and  my disc came up short.
Back 9 score- +1 (1 Birdie,6 pars,2 bogeys)
  Man, if I can't get under par on the back 9, it doesn't look good.
Hole 1- Par- I threw my Valkyrie and it flew very straight but too far to the right.  Derek's shot landed in a tree more than six feet up and he had to take a penalty stroke.
Hole 2- Par- I tryed a tomahawk shot again but I didn't get it high enough and it hit some bushes.  I thought my shot was way worse than it actually ended up being.
Hole 3- Par.  Man did I have my second best drive ever off of this tee.  I forehanded my Valkyrie and damn if it didn't fly straighter than anything in my bag.  I had a jump putt and a good run but no dice.
Hole 4- Par.  That left pin position is much more difficult than the other one.  Threw my starfire with a hyzer shot, I got lucky didn't hit any trees and landed on the left of the pin.  forehand approach with the starfire as well went about 12 feet past that I converted.
Hole 5- Bogey.(+2)  Threw my Cyclone and I thought it looked good but I underestimated that I was throwing into a headwind and it came up way short and then a bad kick off the rocks made for a longer approach shot. Still landed within about 10 feet but missed the putt. Frusterating. rrr... 
(((enter the hell hole zone)))
Discs lost- 5 Penalty shots taken- 5+ who knows???
Hole 6-  Par.  Threw my 162 gram TeeBird but it left my hand way right and didn't come back much.  I got lucky though and landed in an open area and my approach shot was very good.
Hole 7- Par. I played it safe and just threw a tomahawk hoping to land in the fairway.  This hole must have gotten inside my head cause for the first time I ever remember I shanked a tomahawk left, and I thought "great there goes another one" but alas I guess my disc turned over and landed in a clearing near the fairway.  Up and Down for par.  We all agree that 7 is the 1 most difficult hole to birdie on the course.
Hole 8- Bogey. +3  The Starfire slipped out of my hand way early and went right and not very far.  I struggled to give myself any sort of par save but it was too late.
Hole 9- Par.  Threw a forehand Valkyrie but too much hyzer left me to the right and an awkward approach shot with no route in to the basket.  I even took extra time to concider my options because of how I birdied this one to finish last time.  No route though.
Front 9-  +2  7 Pars, 2 Bogeys
Final Scores:
IOS- +1
Derek- +4
Duffy- +3
Wind was a factor today and birdies were few and far between. 
There's a bunch of pics up as we are testing out IOS' new digital camera.  Some of them turned out pretty good. 
Until next Wednesday..

No comments:

Post a Comment