Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Disc Golf 9/24/08

IOS and Myself headed on out to Oroville Riverbend Disc Park for a round.  Tee time approximately 3:30pm:
In the Bag-
Starfire
Valkyrie
Firebird
Champion Eagle
Beast
Soft Challenger
Aviar
Comet
Had a 9 hole warm up on the front course before heading to the back and actually met up with another discer, Jimmy.  He played the full round with us. 
Front 9 Warm Up
Hole 1- Bogey.(+1)  Valkyrie turned left, didn't come back.
Hole 2- Birdie.(E)  Solid drive with Starfire landing within 15 feet.
Hole 3- Birdie (-1) Big Hyzer with Starfire and made 15 foot putt.
Hole 4- Birdie (-2) Near Ace run disc skipped over past the hole but I made a real nice uphill putt that was far from easy. 
Hole 5- Par.  IOS had the most ridiculous shot ever.  As the disc slowed in speed and faded left I thought it was going to hit the tree but it ended up being past the tree and the disc LANDED IN THE BASKET AND BOUNCED OUT.  Unbelievable ace run, unfortunate it didn't stick. 
Hole 6- Birdie. (-3) Another nice big hyzer with the starfire landed under the basket.
Hole 7- Birdie (-4) Threw my Aviar off the tee as this one is a short downhill hole.
Hole 8- Par.  Hit the brush laying in the center of the fairway.  Jump putt landed close enough for an easy par.
Hole 9- Par. I missed a fairly easy birdie oppertunity.
Probably my most solid front 9 ever with 5 Birdies, 3 pars and a bogey. (-4)
Now to the official round, we started on hole 8 this time.
Hole 8- Bogey (+1)  Decent drive but horrible approach shot landed in the brush on the right giving me really no chance for par save.  It was also back to the long pin placement.
Hole 9- Bogey (+2)  Unbelievable.  I took a gimmie par for granite and putted just a fraction too high and it hit the top metal and fell down below the basket.  Mental Mistake.
Hole 10- Par.  New pin placement stood directly in front of us instead of down the hill to the right.  Interesting.  I threw a forehand with my starfire landing it on top the hill.  Just like last time, my putt hit chains and bounced out, however this time it wasn't as flush on the chains.
Hole 11- Par. Forehand Valkyrie turned left and would have been tap in birdie for other pin placement.  Still a decent birdie oppertunity and my disc came up just short hitting the front rim of the basket.  A reoccurring theme of this round as you will see.
Hole 12- Birdie.  (+1)  Far left pin position  this time so my disc selection was to forehand the beast.  It turned left and went past the basket.  Awkward putt from the rough but I hit the gap through bushes and made the putt.
Hole 13- Par.  Probably one of my worst drives, I forehanded the starfire but put way too much angle on it and it went way right.  Up and down.
Hole 14- Par. The magic of my Champion Eagle shot back in April I am unable to match.  Forehand landed right.  Solid approach shot, tap in par.
Hole 15- Par.  Back to the long straight pin locations and a horrible drive hit a tree and kicked my way right.  THE APPROACH SHOT OF THE DAY with the beast landed me close and a par save worth remembering.
Hole 16- Par.  The longer pin placement again
I forehanded the beast to turn left and it began to but didn't hold the line and I sailed past the basket to the left.  I ran my birdie shot a bit farther past the basket than I wanted to.  My par wasn't a gimmie but still converted.
Hole 17- Par.  Longer pin placement, The Champion Eagle avoided the first set of brush and trees but then went to the right.  I had a jump putt for birdie that hit metal but didn't stick.  Make that 3 birdie putts that have hit metal today.
Hole 18-  Par- Seems I continually throw a big hyzer on this hole and come up short.  My putt once again hit metal (Number 4), This time my challenger almost landed on top of the basket, which would have counted.  Tap in par
Hole 1- Bogey (+2)  Longer pin location to the right, I forehanded my Valkyrie but it turned right and I landed in a really bad spot where my only shot selection was a tomahawk with the firebird.  Whenever I tomahawk short distances, bad things usually happen.  The disc never turned over and landed way right in a bush.  Very awkward par putt never had a chance.
Hole 2- Par.  Left pin location, Threw my Starfire but no power and it hit a tree.  My approach shot was extremely difficult, I threw my comet for an anhyzer forehand with extreme angle. It stuck within 20 feet.  I was amazed.  I made the longer par putt.
Hole 3- Par.  My forehanded Valkyrie landed on the hill to the right,  Making for another extremely difficlult up shot to the pin.  I threw a extreme angle forehand from probably one of the most awkward stances I can remember. Landed it within 10 feet.  This is the round of the par save.
Hole 4- Par.  Valkyrie backhand didn't come back into the fairway.  Walking up on my disc, I thought I was going to have to just lay up into the fairway and accept a bogey.  Damn near doing the splits and from my knees I pulled out an Aviar and snapped an anhyzer putt that broke through some thin branches and then hit the base of the pin!  Wow.  Another amazing par save that probably won't be remembered months from now but these approach shots are extremely difficult.  If I could only hit fairways!
Hole 5-  Par.  All three of us tried the forehand S curve to this longer pin position.  We all ended up way left as the discs never turned back to the right.  Forehand approach with soft challenger made for an easier par save than the last two holes.
At this point I asked "What's everybody at?"  All 3 of us were at +2 with 2 holes to play.  The hell holes might I add.  Why we have to end on the two most hated holes on the course I don't know, it just ended up that way.
Hole 6-  Double Bogey (+4)  "Yeah it's the longer pin position at 440 feet" Jimmy proclaims.  Great. That makes for an even more confident drive.  I forehand the Valkyrie and it turns right and into the rough.  Well I guess that's better than being to the right where I've lost 5 of my discs.  Unfortunatley my blind ass can't find my drive and I'm looking for my disc for like ten minutes until IOS and Jimmy come over and point it out in like 5 seconds.  My approach shot is still farther from this pin position than the shorter location.  I choose to lay up and just play for bogey but alas my next shot lands to the right and I miss a fairly makeable putt.  Blah!
Hole 7-  Par.  I backhand my Valkyrie and get somewhat lucky with a gap in the tree to the right.  Disc doesn't go very far but lands out in the open and my next shot I just treat like a forehand drive with my Starfire that lands within tap in range.  IOS' approach shot is memorable as he bounced the Orc off the top of the basket and it took a bad skip into the rough.  He proceded to 3 putt and double bogey to end his round at +4. It didn't help that he was eating an orange while putting.  Jimmy didn't finish the final hole as he met up with some friends back on hole 8. 
IOS-    +4
Duffy J-  +4
Jimmy-  +2 (DNF 7)
Well not a great round score wise but some memorable shots for sure with IOS' in and out basket ace run on 5, and a handful of my difficult approach shot par saves.
Since it ended in a tie we then drove on up to the Chico course to see how many playoff holes we could get in before dark.  When we started the round I completely forgot it was playoffs and I threw the entire round with a comet and a soft challenger.  We were kind of rushing along.  IOS threw the entire round with a regular plastic Challenger.  I have no power in my backhand so it was a frusterating round attempting to get any sort of a hyzer out of the oldest disc I own, The Ron Russell Comet. One of the straightest discs there is. We skipped over holes 12 and 13 due to a larger group that would have slowed us down.  I ended up shooting a +3 or +4 I kind of lost track towards the end because IOS dominated with a round of -5 with one disc, the Challenger!  IOS has a lot of HGH power in his backhands and can get way more distance out of a putter than me.  Apparently he also threw a -9 at the Chico Front 18 over the weekend.  That's the lowest round any of us have shot in the last few years. 
So IOS wins the playoff -5 to +3

No comments:

Post a Comment